March 2, 2007

We've Arrived Safely (and side note about previous entry)

So, we made it! Lorelai was an absolute ANGEL on the plane. I can only pray she'll be that way on the way back home! We got to the airport (Thanks Roger) very early. Kelly and Roger laughed at me and as it turns out, they were right - we didn't need to be there quite so early. But it all worked out well. Lorelai and I were able to settle in and meet a few people while waiting. It's amazing how once you have a baby, you're suddenly approachable to all.


When we boarded the plane, I was a little nervous; they were supposed to sit us in the "one seat" aisle, but didn't. So, we were front and center next to a gentleman who I was certain didn't want us there. This guy turned out to be very nice. He was from Australia and helped me out tremendously. He helped me to get out a bottle and formula before I sat down (his idea). He was obviously schooled in flying with children. He told me that he had two little girls - 9 and 6. He was beaming with pride talking about them. I seriously could have sat there and talked to him the entire flight, because his accent ROCKED, but I decided to let him have peace and quiet. So did Lorelai...she didn't cry once! Her ears were fine, and she even took a little nap.


I should have known that things were too good to be true. Last night, at around 7:30, she went APE!! She wouldn't stop crying for anything. Chris thinks it was her fault, as the crying started as she picked her up. Come to find out, our efforts of setting a schedule at home have really worked. Lorelai was ready for bed and it didn't even cross my mind, because we're an hour behind here. So, once I got her settled down and fed, she fell asleep. I won't make that mistake again. 7:30 bedtime as long as we're in St. Louis!!


Grandpa was very excited to see her! So were Chris and Marissa. As a matter of fact, Chris and Marissa barely said hi to me when they walked in the house - they went straight for Stinker Bell. I guess I should get used to that! ha ha


Well, here are two pictures of us on the plane. You can't really tell we're on a plane, but oh well. Oh yeah...and Kris recommended that I see if they do anything for first-time-flyers and ... they don't. :-( So, on the way back, I am going to see if they'll put her in the cockpit with a pilot and let me take a picture.



















THANK YOU KELLY, ROB AND ROGER FOR TAKING CARE OF RUSTY FOR AN ENTIRE MONTH!!! YIKES!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!


THANK YOU MARIE, FOR TAKING CARE OF MY MAIL. I'M REALLY POPULAR, YOU KNOW, SO THERE MIGHT BE A LOT OF IT! Really, it's all just junk mail about babies. :-)



~ SIDE NOTE ABOUT PREVIOUS BLOG ENTRY ~


Thank you for all the advice about contacting the HR department at my company. What's sad is that I'm more upset about the letter from a boss who was supposedly a friend of mine. That was the worst part. He claimed to have tried to contact me via phone and email, but I went back through all my phone records and the last call I have from him was two months prior. Email - nothing either.


I am a 1099 employee, not a W-2, so the rules with FMLA are totally different for me. I still have a "job" with that company, if you will...just not that position. I can sell anytime I want, so I am still technically gainfully employed. Again, though, that wasn't what was bothering me. It was more the unfriendly, unprofessional and cold letter I received.

You all are entirely too sweet, though, to read and respond in support of me. By the way - that was a "hypothetical" situation...what made you think it was about me?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you made is safely. That is awesome that she didn't cry on the plane, I bet other mothers were looking over thinking that they wished their children had been that good on planes.. :) I usually sit next to those mothers.
Have a great trip and keep us updated..

Rebecca said...

Yay for the plane ride. You are going to have to help me with setting a sleep schedule - that's awesome that she is already on one at such a young age. I am glad Rusty is not at the pound - Phew. Chels told me last night that she would have gladly taken him too and I think she may have emailed you (a little late though).

KDoug said...

I love the long arm shot of you and Lorelai on the flight. That is just so cute. So many firsts.

Anonymous said...

I want to see you while you're in town, but don't have your phone number. Shoot me an e-mail with your number so we can set up a time.

Rebecca said...

If you go a whole week before posting a new blog, I think I might just go crazy. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel! I see that you are in the Lou for a while. You should come by and visit our church sometime if you have time and we could actually meet. :) I will be on vacation from March 8-16, but after that I'll be around. Our church is Destiny Church (Paul & Krista have been before, and Kenna came to a kids' summer camp once). Anyway, it's basically right at 270 & Manchester (on the Des Peres outer road). We have Saturday night service at 6 pm and two on Sundays at 9 am & 11 am.

Well, anyway, didn't mean to write a novel. If I don't catch you while your here, have a good time with your family! I bet they love having you and Lorelai with them.

--Jess Stern

Anonymous said...

Jess, thanks for the offer. I might try to come on a Saturday night. I am going to 2Rivers each Sunday morning - getting my fix! :-)

Rebecca - I guess it would kill you, then, if I went a MONTH without updating, huh? I'll make sure to update soon!