October 2, 2008

Extreme Makeover: Uterine Edition

This won't be an exciting post, but it will be informative, if you wanna know what's up.

8:00 - got to the surgery center, checked in
8:15 - went to triage and hung out with the nurses for a while, waiting for my 9:30 surgery. Tried to read this book, but read the same paragraph over and over because I'm nosey and kept listening to everyone around me.
9:30 - ready for surgery, but still no anesthesiologist, no surgeon.....
10:00 - same
10:30 - won four games of Phase 10 on my cell phone
11:00 - finally met with the surgeon. Apparently his first patient threw him for a loop, she had more wrong with her than he originally suspected, so the surgery took a while. I was TOTALLY okay with this. I wanted the same treatment!!

11:30 - by then I was getting my first margarita and feeling fine. I have a hard time going under anesthesia. I don't know if my body fights it or what, but generally the doc will ask me to count backwards from 100 expecting me to get to 98 before I pass out. That usually doesn't work. I get to one and say "now what?" It took a good 15 minutes to knock me out today.

11:30 - 3:00 I was out.

I also have a hard time coming OUT of anesthesia. I am usually a fighter. One time I actually tried pulling out my breathing tube - not a good idea.

Today was a little different. I didn't fight, but my body must have been in a little shock. They were waking me up when (from what they tell me) my heart rate dropped to 33. Yep...that's much too slow. They had to give me three shots of atropine to get me back to normal.

I kept asking JD about it by saying "okay, so what time did I die again?" He didn't think it was funny. I did. I am alive, so I can joke.

I didn't get to talk to the doctor after the surgery, but hopefully I'll be able to tomorrow. I was shocked at to what he did/found. He didn't find endometriosis. This is a good and frustrating thing. Good because, well endo sucks. Bad because the dozen doctors I've seen before who refused to give me the laparoscopy were diagnosing me with endo just based on my symptoms. They were also trying to "treat" me based on those symptoms. So, that's pretty upsetting. I pretty much want to punch those doctors in the face.

The doctor also found more than one polyp. I'm not sure how many or if he's worried if they're cancerous, but hopefully we'll find that out tomorrow. He took out all the polyps - yay!

He also drilled fifteen holes in each ovary. Fun, huh? I can't stop picturing my ovaries as a colander. (not sure if I spelled that right - collender, colandar? whatever)

As for how I'm doing physically, pretty good really. Aside from the kicks and punches to the stomach by my energetic daughter, I'm only just really bloated. I look like I'm eight months pregnant. My belly is hard! The incisions are small and I am in 1/10 of the pain I am during my regular monthly periods. So all-in-all, I can't complain!

With vicodin and a little sleep, I should be good to go.

And of course Laura came through again with a wonderful meal tonight. With dessert to boot! Dad claims he made it, but I'm going to guess that wasn't the case. :-)

Thank you to EVERYONE for all the prayers and thoughts this morning. They worked!

I'll try and update more this weekend. I have almost 100 emails still, and I don't think I'll get to those.

Love y'all!

post signature


Feagans 5ive said...

So glad that your surgery went well, Madison was even praying for Lala's mom ;)

If there is anything we can do from the STL, let us know.

CJ, Laura, Madison and Morgan said...

Um, heart rate at 33 is not funny after that conversation we had last night!!!

I am glad you are home and recovering. I'm coming over rightthisminute to take your BP anyways, and I just might bring my stash of atropine with me.

Stop blogging about me!!! You're making me self-conscious :). Go eat some more brownies so I don't feel so bad about the ones I consumed as well :).

Get some rest chica!!

bauer zoo said...

i am so glad everything went ok!

well, except for the almost dying part. but since you didn't actually die, i think it's ok for you to joke about.

so your ovaries are like colanders, huh? i don't know that i'll be able to make spaghetti without picturing your ovaries. thanks for that...

get better soon, and if there is anything i can do for you, just let me know!

Jessi said...

Sounds like everything went pretty well... 33 is not good.

But what I want to know is how you got phase 10 on your phone!!:)

Joanne and Deric said...

I'm just impressed you bloged the day of surgery... you are one tough chick man!!!!
Glad it all went well!
I hope you feel good tomorrow too.

Lori said...

Happy to hear you are doing great after the surgery and, well, almost kickin the bucket! :-) Impressive indeed that you can actually blog afterwards!!

LOL @ the collander....trying to get the picture outta my head but still funny :)

Uma and Wil said...

I'm glad someone was around to "bring you back" because my day would have been totally boring without your daily post :). Rest up and enjoy the drugs! Wil says that when it first kicks in, vicodin makes him very itchy, which I find very entertaining and hilarious. Feel better soon!

stormhuse said...


Becs said...

Thanks for the update. Thought about you all day.

You crack me up with the colander thing. I just keep picture your eggs trying to decide which hole of the collander they will slip through this month.

Rebecca said...

You can make any (and I mean ANY) situation hilarious, you know that? I too am selfishly glad you posted already. :)

Now I just can't wait until you post about baby #2 whenever that may be... glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and we will keep praying for a clean bill of health for you!

JAMIE'S CREW said...

Glad to hear that all is well. You ROCK for posting so soon!

Brenda said...

I love the title.

Poor JD. He was probably worried sick! That must have been a scary thing for him.

Let's not do this again, OK? You don't do so good with the surgery.I'm glad everything came out OK. I'm curious as to why there are 15 holes in your ovaries. But I'm really glad you are going to be fine.

Love ya!

~Sara~ said...

First things first... YOU CAN GET PHASE 10 ON YOUR CELL PHONE?!? hehe (Just kidding, just kidding... honest)

I'm totally glad to hear you're feeling well. Still curious to hear the remaining details, but am happy to wait for those knowing you're okay.

Also, you have to let me know about "The Story" whenever you do finally find time to finish it. I'm curious as to whether it's as good as it sounds.

Tracye said...

I'm so glad everything went well!!!

Except the 33 pulse. That's not so good. That was my jersey number when I played basketball in high school. I think that's probably why everything went okay. ;)

15 holes in your ovaries??? 'Scuse me???

I hate Vicodin! It gives me horrifically gory nightmares, usually about family members. Ugh. I just can't do it.

Posting on the day of surgery? You rock!

~Sara~ said...

haha, I just read Jessi's comment about Phase 10 on your phone... We sisters think alike, eh?

And... I wanted to remind you to tell us how you thought it would all go. ;o}

mdx3mom said...

Glad to hear everything went well for you and that you are getting back on your feet.

I will take a laparoscopy over most other surgeries! less scars.

Again, so glad you are doing well.

My ADHD Me said...

Hi. Thanks for visiting my blog. I can't imagine when you had the time!!

Did a quick scan of your blog. Thought I saw you might be coming to Virginia? Today forecast = Sunny, breezy, approx 75-80 degrees. Beautiful. I looked for you...

Did someone say Vicodin?

S G said...

I'm so very glad your surgery went well. The heart rate thing is very scary!! That is definitely no bueno!!

And might I just say that I'm so very impressed that you're blogging after surgery! You're like Super Woman!!

Throwin' Fitz said...

You just couldn't get thru surgery/anesthesia without a little atropine huh?! Leave it to you to keep things exciting! Glad to hear you're doing well! :)

Ashley said...

And you still blogged! You are crazy! Praying, Praying, Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Hope you are continuing to do well. Hope you are continuing to do well. You've been "tagged". Check my blog to see what it is and play.

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

So glad it went well!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'm surprised to see you're up already. I was thinking recovery would take a long time, but thank God you're doing well. Why is she kicking you in the stomach? When you said you had trouble going under with drugs I was afraid you had a situation on your hands, the kind where those under the anesthesia can still feel everything, but can't do anything about it.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are feeling well. Hope the surgery was a success and eggs are spilling everywhere through those 15 holes.

Love you bunches,
Aunt Tina

Jason & Lori Hoag said...

So glad you are ok. Good news on not having endo! Take care of yourself, chica.

Tabitha Blue said...

Wow, sounds like a completely crazy day!!! At least you had lots of drugs to get you through it ;)

Recover well soon.

Toni said...

Glad you came through okay - except for the drop. Going to read more now...