April 15, 2012

A letter to sweet, sweet Lorelai.

Lorelai, my looking-like-you're-much-older-than-five-years-old Lorelai.

You watch too much tv.  It’s clearly my fault, as I’m the one who controls your television consumption.  I don’t let you watch a lot, but I forget you are a sponge.  Until you start to regurgitate infomercials.  “Mom, the lumowallet is no match for a truck or car – we NEED that!  It ‘patects’ your phone so nothing can destroy it.”
You’ve started sharing a room with Emerson since we arrived in Germany.  I’m so surprised at how well it’s going.  You are  in a single bed, while Emerson is still in a crib.  When I put her to bed, she sometimes cries as I walk out.  I can hear you from the hallway “don’t worry little sissy, Lorelai is here.  I’m going to patect you.” You promptly sing one of her favorite songs and the room falls quiet.  When you wake up, you escape without waking her and are so proud, you can’t even stand yourself and run immediately into the room to tell me.
Your favorite book is your preschooler’s Bible.  You ask me to read it to you every night.  I’m pretty sure we have read it in its entirety twice already.
You say you can’t wait to homeschool.  I’m pretty sure that’s because I told you homeschoolers do a lot of field trips.  That’s okay, though.  If that’s what I have to do to ensure success, I’m all for it. 
You have lost one tooth and are anxiously awaiting two more to get loose and fall out, since you have “shark teeth” (see picture).  Those little baby teeth need to get out of the way, they’re cramping the style of your adult teeth. 

You are THIS close to riding your bike without training wheels.  As soon as we get back from Germany, mommy is taking them off.  Your balance is pretty great, you just need a little more confidence.
I started reading a book called Parenting with Love and Logic.  I am amazed at how much this has changed our relationship with one another.  You are a strong-willed child, but no book I’ve read (and I’ve read many) has helped me with really learning how to relate to you – not just “deal” with you.  This book is changing my parenting style immensely.  I’m quite positive it’s also decreasing my anxiety level with you as well.  This is now going to be my go-to book when anyone with any age child talks to me about parenting.  Seriously – it’s great.
You are always alert and ready to learn.  Everything is a new adventure that is SO exciting to you! Whether it be a new color dum dum you’ve never had, to a new coloring game on my ipod, to a large building with a unique roof-line, you are so excited to see it, and you let everyone know.  I wish I had the zest for life that you do – wish I went into EVERY experience with the same attitude you have.

I’m learning a lot from you!!

Photobucket

12 comments:

Kristen said...

Awe, that is so sweet! Brought a tear to my eye. SERIOUSLY! So precious she is!

The Phillips Place said...

You are going to be so glad you wrote this! I especially love the part about her "patecting" Emerson at night...too sweet!

And the infomercials...guilty here too! The girls are still convinced I can get cash for gold, that I need a bumpit, and that our home would be a better place with the Perfect Brownie Pan. ;)

Lisa Huerth said...

You should take her to her namesake (ish!) Lorelai rock on the Rhine river! - or at least tell her the story, or find a German book about it, what a neat thing!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh, I am crying at the library, this is such an amazing thing you've done for her...

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the post.kindly visit us @ Lawyers For Property Case in Chennai

Unknown said...


Thank you for sharing the post.

Unknown said...

Excellent Wok, Thanks for sharing with us this valuable blog. I get solution of my problem. Visit for
Freight Forwarders in India

Clipping Path said...


Great post.thank you so much.

David Millar said...


What a magnificent tricks! Really enjoyed it. Thanks a lot for sharing.
clipping path service

Photo Editing Services
raster to vector conversion service


Kanagamani Hospital said...

Thanks for the post. I´ve been thinking of starting a blog on this subject myself.
Keep sharing.

erectile dysfunction medications said...

Wow, incredible blog format! How lengthy have you been blogging for? you made running a blog look easy. The total glance of your website is wonderful, as neatly as the content material!

vivek kumar said...

Packers and movers in Ranchi
Sarvil Packers and movers is one of the best packers and movers company in Ranchi,Jharkhand. We assure to give you amazing packing and moving experience in your budget.