May 24, 2006

Should Have Listened to Kelly

So, St. Thomas proved to be a fantastic trip with lots and lots of sun. As many of you know, I am unable to use sunblock - it has the opposite reaction with me - makes me burn. Therefore, tanning lotion is all I can use to block the sun. Well, the rest of my body is HOT and tan....the face, on the other hand, is not so hot. As a matter of fact, I didn't use anything on my face and with more than 2 hours in sailboat and ferry rides and about an hour in the ocean snorkeling (and my head was above water more than it was under) I now have a molting snake head.

If you are unfamiliar with molting, let me explain it to you. When the skin (or scales, by which my face would be more appropriately identified) start to wear down from injury (sunburn), the epidermis begins to create new cells to separate the old (burnt) skin from the developing inner layer. The new cells liquefy, making the outer layer shed.

So, as unpleasant as it may seem, this is the best way to explain what is going on with my face. It's not very comfortable, either. As a matter of fact, all of that new "liquid" skin is pretty much on FIRE when I walk into a room with moving air.

I took a picture of it, but it really wouldn't do it justice, so I'll spare you. Just know that I am very lucky not to have a class this week or have to meet with anybody, because I can't even step foot into the post office, for fear of parents pulling their children away from "The Leper." I kid you not. I will be on hiatus for a few days, in my house, until this condition clears up.

Oh - wait a minute. I need to give credit where credit is due. I forgot about the title of this entry. Should have listened to Kelly. Well, Kelly, don't get used to this, but you were right - THIS TIME. I was putting a "repairing lotion" on my face to keep the skin ... um ... hate this word ... moist. She told me not to do it, because it was an acne formula, not a moisturizer. Well, I didn't want to put regular lotion on my face for fear of zits IN ADDITION to the molting skin, so I continued. I should have read the label. It's benzoyl peroxide. Okay, who puts benzoyl peroxide in a bottle and labels it "Repairing LOTION?" Seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love being right, but definitely not at your expense. Remember that it's all marketing :)

Kel