August 30, 2006

Good News and Bad News

I would ask which one you want to hear first, but you won't answer, so I'll go with the good news first.

We had our ultrasound on Friday. It was fun! The baby was right where it needed to be. Ha ha - where else could it have been? No, I'm talking about size of organs and such. JD was asking some questions that normal people don't ask, so the ultrasound tech was like "what do you do for a living?" He told her he was an engineer, but got to the fact that he was going to go to P.A. School next year and that he was really interested in everything she was doing. So, she spent more time with us than a normal tech would have. She explained every move she made, everything she saw (even though she's not supposed to) and spent about an hour going through the scan. The tech is not supposed to share any health comments with the couple, but she did...no cleft lip, great four-chamber heart, kidneys are working well, umbilical cord looks great, etc, etc. The bad part is that she was poking and proding around on my belly for an hour and the baby got a little tired of it. So, every time she tried to take a picture of the baby, it would turn its head - either away or straight toward the ultrasound. So, the picture isn't a profile, like we had planned. Rather, it's a head-on picture that resembles Skeletor. Yeah - it's funny. If I can get the scanner to work, I'll post the actual picture of the ultrasound, but here's what it really looks like.


The baby is measuring bigger than normal - it's in the 73 percentile. Which is not bad. We were 21 weeks at the time of the ultrasound and it was measuring 22 weeks. Apparently, though, at that ultrasound, they expect the baby to measure up to 2 weeks off, up or down. In the third trimester, the baby can measure up to 3 weeks off, up or down. I am assuming, we'll still be UP! We're going to have a big baby or deliver early - or both. :-)

Baby weighs 1.1 pounds and is almost 12 inches long.

Now on to the bad news...the babies are gone. Yes, Layla and Rusty have found new homes. Here's how it went down. I put an ad in a local small magazine, fully expecting nobody to read it. The day it went into print, we had phone calls. So, the first person to make it to the house was a guy on Sunday, who was looking at Layla. He brought his friend whose wife wanted him to look at Rusty. I was CERTAIN that they wouldn't want the dogs. Long story short - they did and they took them THAT day. So, in a matter of 15 minutes, they were out of here. I am SO glad we had friends over that day, because we were able to not think about it. But that night, I broke down. I felt SOOOOO guilty and missed those little rascals running under my feet all day long!

The next day I called the lady who got Rusty and we talked for about 15 minutes. She used to be a vet tech and is obsessive about her animals. After our talk, I was MUCH more confident that we did the right thing. She and her husband are absolutely in LOVE with Rusty and Rusty is doing well. He has probably already forgotten about us! Layla is with a guy who has two other dogs, so you know Layla is loving life. Not to mention, he hunts and would like to teach Layla to be a bird dog. OOOOh, she is going to love that!!! So, they're gone - the house is quiet...and clean. haha We will always miss them, but it really was the right thing. Before we know it, the baby will be here and we'll have a whole new mix of emotions to deal with!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It still makes me sad eventhough I know it was the right decision. I'll take a moment of silence every August 27th in memory of Havick's BFFs.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

I am even going to miss Paint Chips. Rusty has always been fond of me since I fed him beer and popcorn since he came to stay with Kelly and I for a week. Smartest dog I have met.

Bye kids:(

Anonymous said...

Awww, I know I'm late responding, I know yall loved those cute little dogs. Now I'm probably bringing up a past issue, I'm sorry!! At least they are in loving homes it seems! Can't wait til "Dipstick" shows up :)

Love you guys, Heather

(remember, you've already been parents when yall dropped me off at that bar when I was down there, wow can't remember the name of it now) hehe! What was the name of it????

stormhuse said...

Right now Layla is somewhere licking the better of three layers of paint of a wall. Meanwhile Rusty is just wallowing in the glory of being away from that wall licker...

Rachel, make sure you keep those peoples' phone numbers in case you want to give away Dipstick too.

stormhuse said...

And it's a little sad that you got pregnant just to get rid of the dogs...

Didn't you guys discuss the intense responsibility of having pets during your 96 hour courtship?

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. We got rid of our dogs several months ago and it was SO hard. I still feel a bit guilty, but you do what you have to do.

Anonymous said...

SO happy your baby is healthy but SO SAD you don't have your doggies anymore. Mine are in ATL and I miss them sooooooooo much!!!