August 10, 2007

Letter to Lorelai

My Precious Lorelai,

You are 7 months, 1 week and four days old. I am going to continue to write to you on random days that don’t exactly have a specific “historical” meaning – such as your birthday and other holidays.

It’s Friday and today was an interesting day for us. I suppose that I sometimes underestimate the significance of a schedule for a baby. You lead a pretty predictable schedule, even though you are typically extremely adaptable. Today, you weren’t ready for all the changes I attempted to make. You certainly let me know when you are missing your nap and today was no exception. It pains me to see you miss your naps. I usually get a lot done while you’re down for your 2 hour (give or take) naps. So, it pains me in more than one way when you don’t.  However, no matter how unhappy you are to only get in a power nap, you still wake up with such a beautiful, nearly toothless, smile on your face. Daddy and I wrestle to get you up from your naps, because each of us wants that special feeling of your happiness when you see us. Although, I have to say, even though I feel badly that Daddy doesn’t get as many chances as I do, I cherish those moments we have together. You might be smiling just because someone is finally getting you out of your crib, but to me, you’re smiling because we mean the world to you! You certainly mean the world to us.

We went out to dinner with new friends of Mommy’s and Daddy’s, Andy and Alyssa. She is pregnant and you are just infatuated with her. It’s no wonder, she’s very pretty and great with you. You had your eye on Andy tonight, though…we’ll let it slide, even though he’s an older man! You never cease to amaze me at how many people you can entertain with your eyes. It seems as if every table next to us at the restaurant looked over to see that “happy little blue-eyed girl” just smiling with peas smeared all over her face and up her nose. Yeah, mommy never claimed to be a good aim! You are a blessing to everyone with whom you come in contact. God has a great plan for you.

Just in case you don’t remember… today, while we were hanging out together, we talked about how little girls are dressing these days. I was telling you how protective mommy and daddy are going to be with you and your precious heart. You told me you were okay with that. People are always telling us how beautiful you are. While that is very nice to hear and we love it, we also want you to know that outer beauty isn’t all that matters. Truthfully, I think when people look at you and you flash those two pearly whites, they see how beautiful you are on the inside too.

I don’t want you to grow up too fast. I am cherishing all the precious mother-baby moments we have together. In the morning, when I’m changing your diaper, you like to look out the window at the pretty trees and put your feet in your mouth while I do the dirty work. I am convinced you are part monkey.

When you are sitting up playing with your discovery gym and look over your shoulder to make sure I am still there, listening to Pachelbel’s Canon in D for the umpteenth time, it makes my heart smile.

When you are eating dinner and you get distracted because of the pretty colors on the tv and instantly have no interest in finishing your sweet potatoes, I have to snicker appreciatively. Partly because you’re SO your father’s daughter, but partly because there will come a time when you “won’t have time” to sit and have dinner with us because you have soccer practice, or you have to work.

When you still let me hold you like a baby to feed you and rock you to sleep, I’m nearly in tears. I get razzed because I still rock you to sleep, but I will never get this time back with you, so I will try to continue this ritual until you starting telling me “I’m not a baby anymore, mom!” Unfortunately, that day will come too soon!

When you are about to fall asleep and you nuzzle your face into the crook of my neck and rub your hand on my arm, I get tingles. I am going to soak this up as long as I can.

You’re 28 pounds of LOVE and back-breaking energy and I wouldn’t have it any other way. You are our miracle baby, our love and I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us every day.

I love you!

9 comments:

Joanne and Deric said...

Wow! Amazing! Your such a great mom....
I think both you and I were used as carriers for our husbands children..... She is all JD!

Lori said...

What a beautiful shot of Lorelai!!

Amazingly adaptable aren't they? My sympathies with the travel and move. It's just not much fun for parents or baby - but it can make for some wonderful, if unique, memories :)

(Pachebel? Dang - I thought we were the only ones listening to that! LOL Good taste Lorelai!)

Jen said...

Don't forget about those beautiful blue eyes for the inner beauty. She is so lucky to have you guys as parents!!

Anonymous said...

Great letter. She'll cherish that when she gets older.

Ok, how cute is she in her jeans? It always makes me snicker to see babies in jeans. I think it' so cute, but so adult-like that it's funny. Heehee! I can't wait to put Peyton in her first pair of jeans.

Glad to hear things are going well and that Lorelai is still entertaining the world with her gorgeous smile and beautiful eyes. Oh, should I comment on her intelligence too? Heehee!

Love,

Kel

Rebecca said...

so beautiful - the letter AND THE BABY!

AliciaDawn said...

Awww Rachel, you're such a good Mommy! I wish I would have thought to do that! You're so creative!

Anonymous said...

You're just an awesome mom! She will be proud to be your daughter.

Anonymous said...

Sweet letter for a sweet baby girl.

Julie Z.

stormhuse said...

That would have made me tear up, if I was capable of those emotions. Very sweet...

And a great picture of Lorelai!