June 8, 2008

Military Healthcare at Ft. Sam Houston

"Hi doctor, my ankle hurts."

"What happened, did you roll it?"

"Nope, I don't think so. I don't remember rolling it. It might be overused or something, because of Jazz....ahem, I mean, aerobics."

(Doctor LOOKS at my foot, but doesn't touch it)

"When did this happen?"

"About a month ago, but the last two weeks, it's been getting worse. So, I've kept it elevated and iced. As much as I can, I've been laying off of it and using lots of motrin."

"Great. That's what I would have told you to do."

"Great."

(the Doctor has STILL not touched my foot)

"So, keep doing that for the next few weeks and if it gets worse, call me."

"Um....I'm sorry. But, Doctor....can you tell me why it hurts when I touch my foot right here?"

(he touches my foot, but barely)

"Oh, that could be a stress fracture."

"Really? Wow. That sucks."

"Yeah, call me if it doesn't get better in a few weeks. Bye."

.............that's awesome.................

post signature

10 comments:

BequetteDESIGN said...

Matt has been having a similar issue with his ear, nose, and throat doctor. His first visit: "Doctor, my throat has been severly bothering me the last couple of weeks." "Oh really, looks like tonsilitis; how many times have you had tonsilitis in your life." "Well, this would be the first." "Oh, well... looks like chronic tonsilitis... we'll have to remove your tonsils."

Turns out it was a bacterial infection and he didn't even need the awful surgery. Took him at least five more visits of "Well, try this med and call me in a few weeks if it's not better..." before they finally found out what was wrong.

What is the deal with these doctors getting so lazy!?! Isn't it their JOB to care enough to find the cause rather than just trying to ease the pain a bit?

Grr... this frustrates me to no end!

Anyway, sorry for the LONG response. LOL I can just completely relate and am equally upset by this.

You FAVE cousin... hehe

Mixed Up Chromosomes said...

If it is a stress facture, I got one 2 years ago from being too enegetic in my kick boxing class, basically pounding my foot into the floor. One of my metatarsils, the long bones that connect to your toes, had a stress facture. It hurt a little when I walked on it, but more when I touched the one spot where the fracture was. Hopefully, that's not the case with you and you should pressure your dr to get you an MRI b/c my dr's told me an xray won't catch a stress facture until it's been a while and the bone has a chance to start healing and show calcium deposits in the xray. Or go to another dr for a second opinion. Hope it's just a sprain though.

Uma and Wil said...

Hope you feel better soon. Military health care is always an adventure, although I can't complain about Landstuhl at all. Now, Womack on the other hand...

Anonymous said...

It's time for a second opinion, and a new doctor.

Lexie said...

I have had a stress fracture... they suck. Thankfully I have not had to deal with military healthcare, although I have heard this before.

kmiloch said...

That is ridiculous. I am sorry to hear your having this issue. My friend is an Athletic Trainer and I'll ask her.

Brenda said...

See???? See???? Richard Simmons and the Silver Foxes would have NEVER let that happen to your foot!

Now, I've made my point.

Moving on, this healthcare sounds a lot like the Quack Shack (clinic) on my college campus where the doctor walked in to "see" me and handed me a prescription already written out.

Nice.

And it made me worse.

S said...

don't we love our military doctors?

Jesstern said...

So sorry about your foot. I imagine that's a lot of fun when you are chasing around a toddler all day long. Hopefully it heals quickly

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

unbelievable! i've had great experiences with my military docs except for 1 P.A. who made me cry (she was MEAN) and my current primary care doc who acts as if i'm really making her work too hard.

i hope your foot heals soon!!!!